Monday, February 15, 2021

 

License Agreements

It was a privilege for me to sign two agreements with COSMOS-POSSIBLE WORLDS which involved using three of my 1939 World’s Fair images. It came as quite a surprise. I was sent continual emails but I didn’t recognize the COSMOS name at all.

After several attempts at reaching me, I did a Google search and felt like a fool. They were the real deal. Getting unrequested emails is a hassle for all of us hence my reluctance to respond. However, now the story was very different.

We spent quite amount of time negotiating price and legal issues. They wanted to pay nothing and I wanted $1 million per photo. Needless to say, we arrived at pricing that was more realistic to both parties yet very lucrative to Webbers.

Our company attorney then advised as to who would use the photos, where they would be used, how they would be used, to what extent would they be used, and how often would they be used, and how long the agreement would last. Obviously, COSMOS had their own boiler form, but with further review, the agreement was accepted by both sides

COSMOS found my website which led to the agreements which led to the finished arrangement. Should you ever become involved in any license agreement, make sure you know what you’re worth (there’s no cookie cutter pricing), make sure you have a qualified lawyer, and make sure you over deliver for your customer.

I may have mentioned this before but if you have the Disney channel then click on National Geographic, then click on COSMOS-POSSIBLE WORLDS, then click on season 1 – episode 13. There you’ll see some of the images that are the results of these license agreements. They’re also available at https://www.webbersphotography.com/c/1939-worlds-fair Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment